Tuesday, June 2, 2015

What's Holding Me Back? (Personal confessions from behind the Rose Colored Glasses)

I'm going to go ahead and put this on the internet.  As I become more open and honest, I find my obstacles dissipating before my eyes.  I've found that many of these obstacles are self-created.  And that seems ridiculous.  Could it really be true that most of the difficulties in my life are there because I have put them there (or allowed them to stay)?  Here's a quick list of what was holding me back:

1.  Denial.  This one is a doozy.  #LibraProblems.  This is what I'm talking about with the Rose colored glasses.  I want to see the world as perfect and beautiful, and I want to be content with my situation all the time.  Now, this viewpoint has certainly brought some happiness into my life, but it has also prevented me from changes.  My life is not perfect.  In order to make improvements, I had to see the areas where I was not satisfied.  And that's what this post is all about.

2.  Overindulgence. #LibraProblems.  I just love the finer things in life.  I love to eat out, buy nice things, indulge in alcohol, caffeine, sugar and the finest legal Marijuana.  Often times I will combine all of them in one day/night!  Now, I'm not saying that any of these things are evil, or that they must be cut off entirely, but what is the pleasure in treating yourself, if you are constantly treating yourself.  Then it is just addiction.  And let me tell you, it's not worth it.  Do the work first!  Create what you want to create, work hard every day, and then the fine wine will taste that much sweeter (if that's what you're into.)

3.  Impatience.  I want to get rich and I want it now.  How many times has that worked for anybody?  I've changed my tune.  I am building my art empire from the ground up, laying the foundation for a magnificent structure.  I will continue working on it from this day, until the day I die.  It is not just my job, it is my life.

4.  Not doing the Dirty Work.  This reminds me of one of my great mentors, Mike Nickels, owner of Camp Palawopec.  Mike is a stoic man, soft spoken and hard working.  He has been leading generations of young people at his beautiful camp, and he mostly leads by example.  He has a team of employees who will always do exactly what he asks of them, and yet he still shovels the shit.  He is a true leader, because he is in the trenches, working for the cause, not sitting in the A/C giving orders.

Now, I love having fun, hanging out with friends, and spending time skiing and mountain biking.  Those things are great, but there is other work to be done.  In the past I have put off simple tasks (like working on my website, scheduling a doctor's appt., doing the dishes or cleaning my bathroom) for months.  Recently, I've found that taking care of these nagging chores can really free up the mental space that is needed to move forward.  Don't be like the cow, sheltering his face from the wind.  Be like the buffalo, meeting adversity head on.


5.  Fear.  As Teddy Roosevelt famously said "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."  I say, don't even fear fear itself.  Just meet every day and every moment with Love, then the opposite will never even rest in your mind.  I will publicly admit that I have missed opportunities, and sometimes even failed to try at all, because of the fear of failure.  I will not accept this anymore.  And that brings me to another quote.  "Do or do not.  There is no try." -Yoda

I resolve to work on myself, every day, from this day forward, and I invite you to join me!  Post, share, leave comments and follow my blog.  I will follow you back because I care.

Here are my links for the day

Yoda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No

Start Working from Home and Create the Freedom you Deserve
http://thesfm.com/alecfallehamilton?t=FB1

My Art Website
www.alecfallehamilton.com

Lots of Love,

Alec




No comments:

Post a Comment