Thursday, June 4, 2015

Taking the Leap

There I stood, at the top of a magnificent cliff, overlooking the Colorado River.  The water was shimmering in the afternoon sunlight.  I was standing near the edge with Ethan Black.  A familiar rush of energy was coursing through my body.  The feeling that comes just before you jump.  I know this feeling well, as I have made a habit of jumping from high places into water, and executing flips and spins to make it more interesting.  It's something that I have been drawn to since I was a child.  I taught myself to do backflips off of picnic tables and cars, showing off for my friends and getting a rush of adrenaline.

This leap was different.  It was an iconic cliff above Radium Hot Springs, a prominent outcropping, looming fifty-some feet above the water.  It felt like an Olympic diving platform.  And people are watching.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I couldn't resist.  I knew I would land, feet first in the water, and I knew that I could die if I made a serious mistake.  But I gave no attention to that fear.  I had nothing but a laser focus on my actions.  I planned out the steps I was going to take, across the uneven rocks, towards the edge of the cliff.  To execute a gainer (jumping forwards and flipping backwards), it is important that you have the correct forward momentum, and the appropriate speed of rotation.  This was the first time that I jumped from this spot, and I had only my previous experience to guide these judgements.

I looked over the edge once, and then again, making sure that there were no boats or swimmers (another useful piece of info from my past).  Then I prepared to jump.  I took swift and purposeful steps towards the edge and took off.  Time slowed down as I began my rotation.  I looked for the water, and remember hearing people in the hot tub screaming and making noise.  I completed my rotation with time to spare, and hit the water in a solid landing position.  I popped out of the water to hear mild applause, and some dude saying "whoa, I didn't expect you to do a gainer dude."  I felt the rush of gratitude and relief.  Safe and sound in the cool water of the Colorado.  I climbed back up the rock staircase, feeling like a champion, and continued on having one of the best days ever.


Thanks for reading & Lots of Love,

Alec Falle Hamilton

My links:

www.alecfallehamilton.com

eightfigureartist.com

Work from anywhere and build your dream life:

http://thesfm.com/alecfallehamilton?pg=ready-for-change&t=cl-mailreply


No comments:

Post a Comment